No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Monday, December 19, 2005

Traffic police giving chances nowadays?

My mother in law received a letter from the Traffic police stating that her car had been caught travelling above the speed limit by a speed camera.

The fine would have been $130 with 4 demerit points. However the letter stated that the driver would NOT be charged and no action will be taken. Only a warning was issued and the offence would be logged into the Traffic Police's records for reference.

Initially I had thought they "gave chance" because the person who drives that car is my brother in law who just got his licence a couple of months back and is a new driver. But then the car was registered under my mother in law and she has had her licence for many years now. So it couldn't be that.

Secondly when I heard about it without reading the letter, I had thought my brother in law had spoken to the traffic police officer who stopped him and successfully pleaded for a chance. But then it was a speed camera that had caught him. So it couldn't be that.

So what could be the reason for the Traffic Police's sudden kindness? I had received a summons last year and was asked to furnish details of the driver of the car. I successfully wrote an appeal letter (always good to try, they can only say no). But this is the first time I have heard of the Traffic Police writing to you and informing you that you were caught but no action would be taken.

What basis do they decide to do that? Not that I don't want my brother in law to have a chance but hey everyone should be excused then isn't it?

Two possibilities were raised by my family, the second which was raised by my father in law seems the more likely:

1) Perhaps the speed camera on that road had malfunctioned and recorded an incredible number of drivers as being speeding. Thus the TP were unsure if it was indeed true and thus decided to just send letters to warn people rather than have egg on their faces when someone manages to prove that they weren't speeding

2) Elections are coming and the government wants people to be in a good mood. Every driver summoned would be a lost vote for the PAP?

Anyway I have made copies of the letter. I think it can be useful in future.

If ever I get a summons from TP, I will write a letter of appeal and include this letter of "giving chance" for evidence that the TP do indeed give chances, it's just whether they want to.

2 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, it's election time, look around your neighbourhood, like mine, suddenly after 7 years, the mini park gets a new facelift and a badminton court.

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Im carrying out a study into some aspects of Badminton such as 'badminton raquet'. I need to find volunteers to help. I've used badminton raquet but I need more contributors. Any ideas on where to look?
Rgds

 

Post a Comment

<< Home