No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

$250 a month to go to Hwa Chong JC?

Wowzers!

It looks like Singapore is headed down the public and private schools system sooner than later.

I'm just thinking, in another 13 years, how much would it cost to send a child to RJC or HCJC? $500 a month? I don't think that figure would be too far off. More likely >$500/mth!

So what gives? The claim is that there are new "more better" programs to make your child even "more smarter". But I think the real unabridged answer would be "$250 only lah. That's mini peanuts!"

Well I call all this indirect taxation. Singapore has a pretty good personal tax system. But there are all these indirect taxes. Rising school fees. Car park charges at HDB (going into REITS). ERP, ERP,ERP (read at a forum it's called "everyday rob people"), Rising MRT and Bus fares, Rising HDB flat prices (HDB claims they lose hudreds of millions of dollars every year because they sell HDB flats too cheap http://www.todayonline.com/articles/88566.asp).

It makes me wonder. Is Singapore becoming too expensive a place to live in? I think so. And the answer is pretty obvious. Lack of space. Space is money. Space is the most expensive commodity in Singapore and only one entity owns it. The government.

Try finding a place to live in the heart of Melbourne City and you'll know what I mean. There is unfortunately no Geelong or Hastings or Balarat which you can move to in Singapore.

Oh yeah, actually there is. JB.

3 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

We have a well managed economy to give everyone a decent standard of living without emptying the state coffers.

JB? I'm sure you don't want your house to be broken into everyday and your family terrorised by illegal indon workers? Not to mention the thugs hiding in every corner.

JB good for a golf swing, some fishing and some naughty night fun. But that's it.

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But JB is cheaper isn't it?

I didn't say it was better. Otherwise I would be there wouldn't I?

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheap does not mean bad. E.g. Edmonton and Houston are places where things seem to be cheaper and better by most criteria.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home