No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Why ugly is ugly

Ok now that I have finished doing the housework,

Uglybaldie gave me advice early on when I first started this blog, that I should have a disclaimer on my blog to cover medical advice or information. I thought about his advice and realised he was very right. And I took the advice. I considered totally discontinuing my blog (again).

Then I thought why not take up his other suggestion. He felt that medical information was readily available on the net and hence me blogging about it was a waste of time and boring to boot. He also said he thought reading about views on real life issues was more interesting. Not to mention much safer on the legal front being totally unrelated to my profession. And I felt they were VERY VERY good tips.

And so I followed his suggestions. I was glad that he had given that good advice and I appreciate it. I respect that it also must have come from a wise senior experienced person. Thank you uglybaldie.

If you read my blog again, you'll find I'm staying clear of all medical issues. I decided I would not give any medical advice for legal reasons. I might only comment on hospital administrative situations. The legal situation is very sticky as uglybaldie had mentioned and people can always ask Dr Google for their medical concerns. So there was no advantage for me to give out free medical advice. For the matter I used to do this in my old blogs and I have no problems with giving free medical advice because my main aims for blogging are not for monetary ones. (There are far better ways to make money both in medicine and outside of medicine) However it is true that medical advice can be misinterpreted and misused. It is possible people can get hurt and it does leave me open to legal action. That is a risk I think I'd rather not take anymore after reading uglybaldie's comments as well as "Casebook" from the Medical Protect. Besides it isn't interesting either. Plus there was a discussion on angrydoc's blog that all these statistics based "evidence" was crap. http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=15575652&postID=113353197575324914

So basically what's the point? If you give advice you end up getting into debates about how medicine should be (eg scientifically based, statistically based, mystically based, total con job etc etc ), and people find it boring too.

All this I agree with uglybaldie. Hence I decided no medical information, advice, blog entries whatsoever to anyone no matter who they are, whether they are friends or enemies etc.

Now here's where I found things got interestingly revealing on the part of uglybaldie.

He had asked me http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=19299890&postID=113401307077131120

"I note that the BP monitor attached to my arm reads 138/88 blood pressure with a pulse rate of 80. My normal reading when reading and writing comical stuff is 116/66 with pulse rate of 66. Anything to worry about there doc? "

And I replied "Why don't you go ask Dr Google? It was still free too last I checked so no worries there. "

I mean hypertension is such a common condition, you can find the current recommendations for ideal BP easily. Also, they are based on statistics which many people had said was nonsense.

Strangely here's how uglybaldie replied,

"He, He, No wonder you're a doc with no business.

Kiasu, kiasi, kiaboh.

kiasu=scared giving out free med advice. no income.

kiasi= scared kenna sued if wrong advice.

kiaboh= scared no income or benefit derivable so why bother to give advice.

typically stinkaporean. Hope when you go to OZ you will change your mindset and be more generous or else you will have to remigrate back to kiasuLand.

LMAO

In case you have not come across it in your outdated textbooks. a bp of 138/88 and a pulse rate of 80 is damn good if you are ranting angrily. Anything less proves that you are already dead. "

Now I wonder why that outburst?

I find that there is a group of people who would respond in a certain way when they don't get what they want. They would insult the person who had refused to give them what they want, call him names, and brand him. Do the doctors in the public and private sectors find this familiar? Or for the matter anyone in the service industry? There is a word to describe such behaviour and perhaps it is more than a coincidence that you can find the word in uglybaldie's name. (Why would anyone give himself such a condescending tag in the first place?)

Another thing I find is that the same group of people also respond in a certain manner when they realise they have lost an argument.

For one they would NEVER admit that their point was misplaced and there would never be an apology.

Secondly they would talk about something else eg give factual or statistical information about the topic rather than really addressing the key arguments.

Thirdly, they would move on to some other topic to hopefully distract attention away from their loss. ( up to this stage you can find good examples of such tactics by reading replies from civil service bodies to letters in the Straits Times Forum section)

Fourthly, some might resort to picking on other things and start calling names and insulting the opposition in a further attempt to get the argument off track and hopefully rile the opposition into making mistakes and indulging in their same juvenile verbal assaults.

So personally I find that uglybaldie is an intelligent person with an ability to express good views. Things change however when he does not get his way.

My wish is for uglybaldie to stay away from asking medically related questions and advice (he advised me to stay away from making that type of blog entries or comment in the first place) and get back to his beef as he writes on his blog : http://uglybaldie.blogspot.com/

"Here's My Beef No Sex, No politics, No Teenage Angst, No Dogmas. Just Feedbacks to Make our Community a better Place to Live."

It would truly make the discussions more amiable and objective and let us have a better more pleasant community here. "Teenage angst" is particularly not welcome here.

1 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Strange I wonder why uglybaldie never commented to this entry.

Perhaps his silence proves that everything I wrote was totally correct.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home