No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Thanks to all out there who wished well!

Here's a big thank you to everyone out there who wished me well! Uglybaldie, flatfeet, grace, and several anons.

Yeah I know depression is a dangerous thing. I have a few relatives who have been or are still depressed. So I know what it does to you.

One of the things that makes depression worse is the anhedonia that comes with it. It makes people unwilling to do anything. Then the inactivity basically makes you do nothing but think about yourself, your problems. And then you start to feel sorry for yourself. And then you find that your life is all about being depressed!

So I know the cycle well and I know it's never good to be stuck in it. But I also think that one should grieve early. Let it all out. Acknowledge the sadness, disappointment and pain. Never try to hide it, sweep it under the carpet. Basically you still have to get over it. And then you can move on and say what's next.

Well for me "what's next" is I'm going to concentrate on my kids. For the past few years, Daddy had been too busy chasing stupid dreams. Now it's time for them to be the focus of my attentions. So my wife and I have been taking them to look at all kinds of classes tolet them try new stuff. It's been a welcome distraction.

As for work....well I'm getting the hang of it. This GP stuff. I agree, being a GP is not being a doctor. And I realize there's a lot of grey area, patronizing customers etc involved. I guess the trick is not to fight it. Just go with the flow. It makes life easier and you still bring home the bacon anyway.

I've got something lined up for me personally and it does not involve migration in anyway whatsoever. I just hope I'll be accepted because places are extremely limited. And you know how I am with counting my chickens before they hatch *wink*

My wife and I have taken up a new hobby. Japanese anime. I must say the stories are pretty well done. They also have interesting points of view of our world. While they are cartoons, they certainly are not made for the kiddy audience.

Any anime fans out there?

12 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch Black Jack

It is about this gifted surgeon who earn money from the rich to give to the poor.

Then again he would be crticised by all again.

Maison Ikkoku a nice romantic story
Inuyasha
Ranma 1/2

12 kingdom (every wed-fri central 11.30pm)

seven samurai (11 am based on the cult Japanese master 7 sammurai)

Which type u like?

1 rommance
2. comedy
3. sci fi
4. Fantasy

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Hi Gary,

Are you an anime fan too?

Well my wife and I started off with Gundam and it's probably our favourite series so far.

Gundam's theme of revenge in war leading to never ending conflict mirrors what happens in our world. But let's not go into the politics again shall we?

I like the Mech's in Gundam. The current series Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny are not bad and we're now left with the 4 final episodes of Seed Destiny.

We're actually exploring all the different types of anime. We probably like action ones but we're going to try new genres.

I've bought quite a few animes ready to watch :

Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic: The second raid
Gasaraki
s-CRY-ed
Berserk
Full Metal Alchemist
Rahxephon
Last Exile
Witch Hunter Robin

So I guess that will keep us occupied for a while.

I'm thinking of getting the following next :

Samurai X : Betrayal
Macross Zero
Gunlock Reload
Elfen Lied
Gungrave
Wolf's rain
Scrapped Princess
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Chrno Crusade
Naruto
Bleach
Gantz
Geneshaft


HAve you seen any of these? Any recommendations?

We watched a few episodes of 12 Kingdoms and Samurai 7. My wife doesn't like the period drama type of anime. But I heard that 12 Kingdoms has some of the best storylines.

Inuyasha is too long! Read the reviews and they said it wasn't worth all the episodes.

Black jack was mainly short episodes or OVA movies. We kinda prefer a series. Black jack really good?

I guess we might get that eventually.

Good luck for the exams Gary!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

Walio,

Doctors, (one a GP, another a wannabe) watching cartooons!

Serious or not?

What's the world coming to?

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Samurai X is good

Scrapped princess is like the matrix U love the twist but end abruptly

The ones I watched are usually shown on TV

Orange Road
Tsuyoshi hold tight
Saber J marionette

Spend time finishing those u have first.
Best to rent rather than buy as there are so many out there.

Japanese Anime are not strictly for children. There are those with serious topics like Flower of Versace, which talk about Marie "Let them eat cake"

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

How you got to watch scrapped princess?

Actually you can download them via bittorrent and all but it's too tedious for me.

I buy them from JB. $6 per DVD usually holds about 13 episodes.

So scrapped princess is not bad eh? Ok I'll take not of that.

Uglybaldie,

aiyah I belong to Generation X mah. You are baby boomer generation. Like my dad.

My mum getting hooked onto korean drama serials liao. Actually quite a few anime are also romantic dramas.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Dear grace,

I watch anime at nights after work. A few episodes here and there.

That's why it can be a great distraction!

I won't say it's "continuing my studies" so to speak.

When I confirm my place, I'll blog about it. It will be interesting.

Good luck to you. Hope you secure a place. You're doing psychiatry?

 
At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Oz, do you buy the anime in JB or do you order online? Which website do you use and payment method?

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

I have Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

good stuff.

But these days I'm more interested in anime series rather than movies.

 
At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should watch tombstone for fireflies

Antiwar anime anout a pair of brother and sister starving to death.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,190,nenweg,grave_of_the_fi.html

It's also called Grave of the Fireflies. Sounds good.

Ranked #30 over at www.animenfo.com

Also by Studio Ghibli

"In the latter part of World War II, a boy and his sister, orphaned when their mother is killed in the firebombing of Tokyo, are left to survive on their own in what remains of civilian life in Japan. The plot follows this boy and his sister as they do their best to survive in the Japanese countryside, battling hunger, prejudice, and pride in their own quiet, personal battle."

 
At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those anime shown on SCV not bad also. Naruto and stuff like that.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

I don't have SCV. I prefer to pay for products that give me the flexibility of when I want to watch what program.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home