No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Debate in the papers

I must say today's Straits Times Forum page is filled with letters about doctors!

Today's Straits Times Forum page

If one is sensible and mature, they'll realize that at the end of the day, both patients and doctors should work together rather than against each other if they want to make things pleasant for each other.

I've had my own fair share of "last-minute" arrivals at the clinic. In fact in some cases the patients come AFTER the clinic closing time.

I remember fondly one patient who came to the clinic 5 minutes after we closed for his regular check up for diabetes and to collect his medication.

I asked him nicely whether he knew what time the clinic closed. And he replied "yeah I know. Sorry lah doc. I watched finish wrestling then I come"

"Wrestling?"

"Yeah WWF you know! Smackdown!"

When I told my wife why I came home later than usual, she told me "Next time you should tell those patients that you wished you were watching Smackdown at home too!"

Frankly, all this has nothing to do with what time the clinic writes that it closes. I mean in many cases my clinic opens well past its closing time. Sometimes up to 1 hour after the official closing time. Most of the time we see cases where the patients could have definitely come earlier. But for some reason they don't. I think many Singaporeans work till very late too. So they can only bring their children or elderly parents to see the doctor at late hours after work.

We doctors can understand and accomodate. But we also hope that patients can understand our efforts, appreciate them, and not abuse that service.

Let's work together to make things better. Cheers!

10 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Blogger angry doc said...

People go to a clinic last-minute because they think that's when the queue's going to be the shortest.

And I'm sure you notice how the evening clinic is unusually quiet when a particularly popular evening TV series is being screened.

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Yeah man! hate to say it when I was working at the A&E also same.

The crowd doesn't come during the time the evening TCS chinese drama is showing!

But after that all come. You ask them and they admit wait until the show over then go hospital!

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger angry doc said...

Anyway, I disagree with the view that the point is not about the posted closing time. Whatever the reason for the patient coming late, whether he arrives before or after the posted closing time decides who has the 'moral high ground' in the subsequent debate. And you must know how important that is in an 'open trial by Forum'. :)

Now imagine if the patient admits to arriving at the clinic at 0001hr. Wouldn't that change the whole complexion of the case?

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

In the end the Straits Times is the moderator. But they don't want to do any moderating as far as letters against private clinics go.

Maybe SMA shoudl recommend clinics write in the opening and closing statements like

"Last patient will be seen at 2359h"

"Doctor leaves at 0000h"

But in the end the best is still mutual understanding between doctors and patients.

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger angry doc said...

I think 'Registration stops at 2359hr' would be better.

Still, in this specific case 'mutual understanding' is difficult as the patient never even got a chance to see the doctor!

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

If I do make it to Australia, I'll share with you guys my experiences there.

I wonder how they deal with this sort of problems.

The clinic I'll be working at takes appointments as well as walk ins.

Maybe people there are more appreciative? I know I could be totally wrong though.

One thing I noticed here is that even if you came all the way back from the car park to see the patient who came after the clinic closed, there is seldom a word of thanks from the patient. It's almost as if they have a right to it.

Foreigners from first world countries tend to be more liberal with their thanks and apologies etc. While some people may say they may not always be sincere, I'd rather hear nice things than not.

Oh well. Tomorrow is another day :)

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

Don't be smitten with the white man's profusion of manners and being polite and all that.

They can and if given the opportunity will "stab" you in the back.

Singaporeans may not be that polite or expressive but they sure are a better breed. With exceptions of course! :-)

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

There will always be exceptions of course.

There will also be whites who are polite and praise who are sincere.

Generally in Singapore even those who are nice don't verbalize their appreciations.

It's just not our culture.

Which would you rather watch? A movie with sound or a movie without sound?

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dr Oz

I always greet docs with a Hi, Dr So amd so and thanks and bye before leaving the room, even sent my very nice new doc a "Thank you" e-card to show my appreciation for taking good care of me for the past 1 year.

Hope you will meet more of such patients to brighten your day.

Cheers!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Dear anon,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home