No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Saving Private Hamster Day 1

Last night I injected a total of 2mls of 5% Dextrose and 2mls of Normal Saline into the hamster's neck subcutaneously.

We also gave her some oral feeds of Pedialyte solution. Total about another 2mls. She was very very weak. Hardly struggled at all.

This morning she was still lethargic but moving a bit more. When we tried to pick her up she started to struggle quite a bit. That was a good sign.

Gave another 3mls subcutaneously and oral feeds 2mls.

Observed her for a while. She's opening her eyes. Could climb onto her wheel and made a few walks on it.

Looks like things are picking up.

2 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

erh......Oinkle, I hope so too for your sake that Michelle is fine after your quack "treatment".

If she kicks the bucket, I think the SPCA will be contacting you soon.

LMAO.

Sorry, doc. hope you don't mind the jest. Wow, reading your blog really is rollicking fun. Downer, my pomy is barking at me wondering what the hell is wrong with his master almost tumbling off the chair!

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

No probs man.

The options were very simple to me. Let the hamster die, or give her some fluids subcutaneously. I chose not to go the intraperitoneal route because I could not find any pics of hamster abdominal anatomy.

Skin on the back of the neck is palpable and clear to me.

Anyway let's see how it goes. She does look better today. She could even shriek at me!

Fingers crossed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home