No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

High prices for common drugs in HDB heartland

I read this blog and its comments on "High prices for common drugs in HDB heartland"

Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma blog

I posted a reply but it does not show up on the blog so I decided to put it here.

Here's some information for all people out there wondering how doctors can "decide" whether or not you need antibiotics in a typical flu or cold.

Actually there is a way to assess patients to help decide if they need antibiotics. We all learnt it in med school. Yet it is not widely practised. Read on to find out more and why.

Here's how :

Patient comes in with upper respiratory tract symptoms. Doctor suspects it might be bacterial in nature based on clinical symptoms and signs. Do note however that majority of common flu, colds, sore throats and bronchitis are caused by viruses.

Check out what the US CDC Campaigns are like.

What's the cause of your flu, cold, sore throat, bronchitis?

Get smart about antibiotics

Anyway the doctor explains to the patient the possibilities and advises that they perform a "Throat Swab culture and sensitivity" or a "Sputum culture and sensitivity".

This involves swabbing the back of the throat with a sterile cotton swab near the tonsils. The swab is placed in a tube of culture medium. The culture is a laboratory test done to isolate and identify organisms that may cause infection in the throat. What happens is that the test is sent off and the patient gets symptomatic treatment.

The lab will grow the organisms in the culture and identify them. They will also place antibiotics chips into the agar and see which antibiotics kills the bacteria (you can see a zone of clearing around the antibiotic chip). The doctor then gets a report that details the type of bacteria found, and which antibiotic kills it. (Remember there is antibiotics resistance abound these days).

The doctor then gives the patient a call and asks if he/she is better. If not better come back to get the appropriate antibiotic that kills the identified bacteria in her system that is causing the infection.

Information on throat swabs

This way we choose the appropriate antibiotic and know it is necessary. It might be Klacid, it might be something as cheap and simple as Penicillin!

Now for my patients who want to know more about whether they need antibiotics, this is what I tell them. The problem is this. The Labs charge $43.50 for the Throat Swab Culture. This is the COST PRICE to me the doctor. I tell patients this is the cost price which is what they will pay. I won't earn a cent from doing the test. You still want to do the test?

Most responses would be "What? $43.50 to do a test to decide if I need to take antibiotics that cost at the most $30? I think no need lah. You decide doctor. Want to give antibiotics you give. If don't need then don't need."

So I will tell them most flu and colds are viral in nature and antibiotics don't work. And I give them a print out of

Get smart campaign by US CDC

and

Chart of bacterial vs viral infections

for further reference.

But I do tell them that if they don't get better after a 3-4 days or get worse, please come back and consult me because yes sometimes it is a bacterial infection that needs antibiotics.

Communication is the key lah!

5 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dr Oz

Yes, communication is the key, but sadly, most docs don't like to communicate with their patients, and I always wonder why?

Usually, the doc would listen to the patient's complaint, then write out the prescription and give to you. No explaination nor education even in chronic cases.

Some patients, like myself would ask questions abt my condition, the types of medicine given etc, and most of the time, was brushed off by the doc.

Most docs are not that communicative or not interested in spending more time with patients,
which is more crucial in chronic cases, whereby some patients are not that knowledgable, esp the types of drugs and side effects, etc.

Out of 10 docs, I would consider myself lucky to find 1 or 2 such doc like you in this present day.

Was very surprised, I found one such doc in the public sector, where I can ask and voice any concerns and he would gladly answers/educate me. We have a good doc-patient relationship (esp. so if the patients has chronic conditions).

When I was young, used to have great respect for docs but can't really say that now except for a few.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Gilbert Koh aka Mr Wang said...

But your reply DOES show up on my blog. You may need to click "View" and "refresh".

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Dentist Down Under said...

Sadly most docs I know prefer to just drug the patients with ABs and don't give a shit abt increasing AB resistant bact.

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im really glad after reading your post. im glad at the way you as a doctor act as an advocate and educator to your patients as well. my experiences with GPs here in Singapore, (around the Clementi / Sunset Way area) are nowhere close. only after i went to medical school did i learn all these things about bacterial/viral infections and the use of antibiotics, and the problem of antibiotic resistance.

i think everyone has a role to play in this worldwide problem of antibiotic resistance - both patients and doctors.

kudos to doctors like you!

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to do what I do in Singapore.

In fact just today, I've decided I have to go against my principles in order to keep my job.

If you can don't come back to Singapore.

For the matter, I'm quite saddened and disillusioned by the state of healthcare around the world. Singapore of course has its problems too.

Seriously thinking I should quit medicine totally after I migrate to Canada in 2010.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home