No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Sunday, February 19, 2006

East Coast Parkway!

I went to East Coast Parkway for a dinner at a restaurant last night.

I have not been to East Coast for years!

I must say that the place has changed quite a bit! New buildings, new restaurants.

But gosh there were so many people!! For one, there was a long jam leading from the ECP into the service road and into the car park. The free carparks were totally full. Even if you wanted to park illegally you could not. All the illegal spots were taken up too!

Even the paying car park had a queue.

When we got to the park area it was filled with people! Looked more like those CNY Pasar Malam markets. Only this time there were bicycles and roller bladers zipping past dangerously close to knocking people down!

I must say it was hardly scenic or tranquil. East Coast Park is more like another shopping centre these days. No wonder there is talk of having flea markets and all. It is ALREADY like a flea market for heaven's sake!

I wonder why President Nathan doesn't come to the park on weekends? I mean if he is really interested in meeting people and be in touch with the ground, he should come on the weekends. It's crawling with thousands of his people. Instead he goes on weekday mornings when the average man has to go to work. Who are those other people who go to the park on weekday mornings anyway? Rich men? Tai tais? Retirees? Talk about a skewed perception of reality.

6 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

OZ,

The way you painted the scenario in my kampong, it seems like a scene from Phuket or Pattaya Beach.

If you go during the weekends, of course it's going to be very crowded like everywhere else in Singapore.

If you are a retiree like me, and goes there daily during the weekend mornings or evenings, it is very peaceful and tranquail but of course cannot compare with the beach in Australia where if you walk on the beach, you only have seagulls for company for miles!

Now it's not so bad after the authorities chased away the campers who pitched their tents indiscriminately everywhere near the beach. You should have seen the situation months ago. The beach looked like one big seaside slum. Singaporeans are like that, give them an inch and they want a yard!

If you are at the East Coast Park on weekends, be prepared to walk some distance from a relatively empty carpark to the restaurants near McDonald's. If you want to get down from the car and straight into the eating place, sorry lah, you have to wait.

After my taiji, I like to drive to the park, take out my foldable bicycle and cycle from the track near my house to Benjamin Sheares bridge. Good exercise, better than jogging!

Er OZ, I think our president is very busy and has no time to sign autographs if he goes there on a weekend lah!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Actually what does the president do ar?

He earns about $6800 a DAY!

There was a nice photo taken of him when he was talking to chinese opera actors and actresses.

The caption was "in my line of work, I have to talk to the best in the business"

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Uglybaldie,

frankly, I personally don't liek crowds. Not to mean that everyone else must dislike it too.

But I do appreciate peace and tranquility. Unfortunately there are not that many places like that in Singapore especially on a weekend. Just not my preference that's all.

It would be good if one had a choice.

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

What does a man who struck $10 million TOTO draw do? Nothing. Except that good fortune smiled at him and he is laughing all the way to the bank!

OZ, if you want a more peaceful seaside experience, go to Pasir Ris Beach Park. It is not so crowded but your kids won't enjoy the dirtier beach.

If you like solitude, you should rethink your Aussie plans because that's the place to be if you want to be one with nature.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

The problem is not whether I want to go to Oz but whether they would let me go.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

Sounds like a nightmare going to East Coast Park...I used to cheong that place every Sunday for rollerblading but ever since I got to Oz, I can't/hardly rollerblade. -_-
However, each time whenever I return to Sg, I feel that place seems to be packed like sardines.Rollerbladers, cyclists, young and old all roll onto one track which chances of getting collision is almost 100%.
I don't why I feel so 'suffocated' whenever I see such crowds.
Maybe ....maybe I am turning into a shelia.

Oz ah, why they wouldn't let you go?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home