No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Supermarket shopping bags vs garbage bags?

I heard on the radio how the supermarket chain NTUC was hoping to get more customers bring their own bags instead of using plastic bags to bag their products home.

They talked about it as an environmentally friendly effort.

It was also mentioned that at present moment the many tonnes of plastic bags that are disposed of is used to produce heat in the incinerators, which means it is not totally wasted.

But again it was emphasized that they hope that shoppers would use less plastic bags.

Now I don't know about other people. But in the HDB flat that I live in, almost all the households bag their refuse using the shopping plastic bags. We throw our refuse into a rubbish chute. The chute opening measures 45cm by 35cm. On top of the chute door is a sign saying "Please bag your refuse before throwing it down the chute"

Now if you ask me. It is hygienic and a good thing that people bag their refuse. It makes collection of the rubbish easier and reduces smell and other hygiene risks. So bagging is the way to go. What is the best bag to use? Plastic bags. Whether they are commercial (usually black) garbage bags or supermarket bags, they are still made of plastic.

I think the current balance is good. People go to the supermarket, they get plastic bags. They go home and use the bags to bag their refuse.

Now should the supermarkets stop giving plastic bags and people bring their own bags. Then we will either see people buying commercial garbage bags to bag their refuse or see them throwing it down the chute unbagged! In the first instance, what's the difference to the environment if we throw commercial plastic garbage bags vs supermarket plastic bags? Isn't it the same?

In the second instance, there will be more problems for the garbage collection companies not to mention health risks from poor hygiene conditions around the rubbish collection points. Think flies and insects and stray animals....

Another thing about commercial black garbage bags, they are too big. The chute opening is 35cm by 45 cm. How big is a standard commercial garbage bag? Bigger than that. So we will not be able to fill the bag optimally with rubbish because it won't fit the chute door! Hence more wastage of plastic.

I think the real reason for this drive is that the company has looked at how much they spend on plastic bags. And they realize that although they have already passed the cost to the customers in the pricing of products, if they could save on plastic bag usage and keep product prices as they are.......they will get MORE PROFITS!

I think the companies are pretty smart here. But they can't hoodwink everybody.

15 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

Hey Oz,

Is singapore actually promoting the usage of recycle bags there?
Whenever I do my grocery shopping, I've always tag along my recycled shopping bags - well, it's huge and sturdy.hehe don't see a problem with the space in it.
Maybe someone can come up with biodegradable plastic bags?

Sending my lovie to Michelle*Hurhur.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

If the friggin' NTUC fairprice stop giving out plastic bags like what they are doing now, just boycott them lah.

No plastic bags, no business. Go over to Shop and Save or Cold Storage. They want to make more profits, in the end, they'll be making less than what they are doing now. Does it make sense to protect the environment when the friggin' US and China is polluting the environment like nobody's business?

I don't have much use for their bags but I don't like them making profits at our expense either.

I agree with you OZ, this moronic exercise is merely a disguise to fatten the bottomline.

I may agree with the scrooge on plastic bags if they give us back more rebates and link points!

By the way OZ, how come you as a doc. is staying in an HDB flat? All the docs I know stay either in landed properties or at a minimum, condos. Enjoy yourself leh, don't save too much lah, you don't know when it's armageddon!

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Hey don't say you know my flat cost me >$360,000 to buy from HDB new. And it's in a great location right next to everything. SO we are very happy here. :)

Anyway the point here is: Is there a difference to the environment if I use shopping plastic bags to bag my refuse vs black commercial garbage bags to bag my refuse?

The only difference I see is ther former is free, and the latter I have to buy from the supermarkets giving the former free.

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

OZ,

They will say you don't need to throw your garbage into the chute in a garbage bag. They will suggest that you buy a pail or invest in a garbage bin, made by an NTUC subsidiary and on sale at all NTUC supermarts and bring your bin to the chute to empty it.

The factories making these plastic bags should go see their MPs and protest that profits and jobs are on the line!

OZ, you paid more than $360K for a new HDB apartment? What kind of assinine investment decision is that? Add another 50 to 100 K and you can have a nice condo with clubhouse and swimming pool for your kids. And a better image for yourself and your family some more.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Anyway that was in 2000. That was the price of the new flat. It was a mistake. There was nobody to advise us then and I was a total greenhorn at that time as far as finances were concerned.

ANyway we are happy lah. DUn need all this image BS.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

Uglybaldie,

Oz is happy with his housing lah. Stop pushing him that as if he has to get a new condo or limo to savage his image.
If I ever tell you my dad drives a Toyota Camry (and not SLK,CLK or BMW), would you still be looking down on me?? heh.
I think most importantly for one is able to spend within their own limits and be happy.

My uncle is earning shit loads of friggin money but still, he drives a BMW and living in 3- bedroom HBD flat.Plus his son is currently studying in Melbourne kindly subsidised by my uncle, of course.
See, some people are just being frugal. However my mom calls him KIAM SIAP! LOL


Right oz?

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

Jy,
is there any chance that I can view ya blog at all?
Just asking.
Cheers.

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

One thing I have worked very hard at achieving is a plan for my retirement.

A budget of expenditure (both fixed and variable) every month. And set aside a portfolio of investment vehicles to park my savings every month.

Track every cent in and out every day, then set certain target for savings, trim as necessary, and then tweak the plan according to how things change (eg pay rise, pay drop, win lottery, hospitalizations, new kid on the way)

In truth many people never manage their account books at home. I know of accountants who balance books for BIG companies and they will tell you it is very important to know the cashflow in a company. But when it comes to the MOST important company of all: THE FAMILY, these accountants can be totally oblivious to the state of their accounts!

It's shocking.

Anyway the point is to live below your means, keep debt low, choose good investment vehicle or acquire assets that can give positive cashflow.

I made a mistake buying my HDB flat. I should have stayed with my parents. But it's been done and I have moved on.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

"Track every cent in and out every day, then set certain target for savings, trim as necessary, and then tweak the plan according to how things change (eg pay rise, pay drop, win lottery, hospitalizations, new kid on the way)"

Wah, sounds like you are better at managing finance than doctoring.

Walio, you call that living huh?

I call that controlled vegetative existentialism.

Relax lah. Look at me. No need to scrimp and scrooge. Spend, spend and spend! for tomorrow may not come!

Downer is now barking in agreement. See, even my dogs are smarter than humans.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

"Relax lah. Look at me. No need to scrimp and scrooge. Spend, spend and spend! for tomorrow may not come!"

Well good for you. Would you recommend this philisophy to everyone?

Sometimes I think either your "devil's advocate" attempts are taken too far or you are simply living in your own elite class world and out of touch with the ground.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

OZ,

Don't get so worked up lah.

I am just advocating you should loosen the purse strings now and then and really live.

As a doc. earning good money, you should also spend it lah. Cannot bring it with you when we go. And we don't even know when we'll be going.

Let your hair down abit lah and step a little on the wild side. Your good wife would also appreciate you being spendthrift now and then, for example, buy her an expensive diamond necklace for valentine's day instead of the run-of-the-mill bouquet and candle light dinner. I am sure she's worth more than diamonds but it is a small way of saying how priceless she is lah.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

I'm not worked up at all.

I think you misunderstood me. I have a budget. And the budget is generous. It allows us to let our hair down quite a bit.

But tracking is important so you know where your money goes. How many times have you heard people say "I dunno where all my money went leh"?

Budgeting is where you decide how much to spend a month and you allocate accordingly. It also allows you a framework and guide. And of course only then can you apply discipline in spending.

Being prudent is not the same as being a miser.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

Walio,

JV you're only seventeen ah?

I'm coming to 70! ;-)

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

OZ,

How come no more juicy titbits to read huh?

Get yourself off the bed and away from Michelle and get cracking on the keyboard leh.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

Jy is certainly a Xiao mei mei...hee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home