No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Monday, July 10, 2006

Courage in the face of adversity

MOH gave an award to the team who investigated the recent fungal infection outbreak among contact lens users!

Well done team! Great work.

Mr Khaw's comments however throws up some questions for me.

Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan said: "Certainly when you decide to do something like this, you're taking on a very big multi-national corporation and as I said, they're armed with teams of (scientists and) lawyers. And if the advisory was pre-mature or without basis, or could not be proven, I'm quite sure there'll be a legal suit on our table.

"But more than legal suits, it's also our own reputation. In this instance, the reputation of SNEC and of course Ministry of Health and Singapore. So I'm quite glad. More importantly it ended up well."

Why should that be mentioned? You mean to say that if the MNC or "organization" is big or important enough, then the advisory would not be published?

In any case, if there were an instance where it was the reputation of MOH vs say Temasek Holdings, whose reputation would be more worthwhile protecting?

I suppose things are never as simple as they seem.

I feel Mr Khaw would have been wiser not to have made such statements at all. All it does is highlight that such considerations were made by MOH and that the possibility of overlooking the issue for the sake of reputations is real.

Not good.

2 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger aliendoc said...

How about what he said in today's issue of Today regarding the shortage of hospital beds in TTSH:
" it would have been better if the decision to build a northern general hospital had been made, say, three years ago. I think our situation (today) would be much better. (But) it can't be helped, I can't change history."

I can almost hear a very loud "Ahem, before I became Health Minister" inserted in that statement...

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

The majority of Singaporeans have short memories and are relatively apathetic to media reports.

We don't have very good politicians in the ruling party frankly. Such statements usually end the reign of a party in other first world countries.

What do they take us for? Fools? I guess they are correct. Read my first sentence. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home