No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Sunday, January 15, 2006

"I've never done this operation before"

I heard this on a trailer for Grey's Anatomy. Deja vu!

Trust me every surgical trainee would have said this either out loud or in his mind at some stage of his career when he's told by the senior resident or consultant to "Start the case first" or "Carry on and call me if you have any problems".

Usually when things get too busy or the consultant has overlisted cases on that day or split theatres etc.

It happens all the time. Not very reassuring right? But unfortunately that's the truth. If you go to private hospitals that is much less likely to happen since you don't get trainees running around there. But then surgeons need to be trained somewhere right? My beef is not with trainees (I was one before). My beef is with the training system, the trainers (ie surgeons) and over zealous, gung ho trainees who overestimate their abilities with misplaced self confidence.

There was once a case where a surgical trainee started and continued a thyroidectomy operation. The trainee was doing the operation for the first time alone. The recurrent laryngeal nerve was cut and the patient had voice problems subsequently. The operation was supposed to have been done by the very senior surgeon that the patient had asked for. Well when you're under general anaesthesia you won't know a thing ( in most cases).

Anyway the senior surgeon protected the trainee and told the department that he always quotes to patients undergoing thyroidectomy that their is a risk of recurrent laryngeal nerve damage. He would give them his percentage risk.

Now I felt that it was totally unethical. Although the risk is quoted, the figure applies to the risk in the hands of a well trained surgeon. Not the risk in the hands of a trainee doing the operation for the first time! Is there negligience? Sure there is!

The best way to train surgeons in my opinion is for each surgeon to take on a disciple who assists all the way and progresses subsequently with the master overseeing his development. One master for one disciple. That's how it started, but it doesn't work this way at the moment.

Frankly such instances contributed to my decision that I did not want to become a surgeon. I was never the gung ho trainee that people encouraged me to be. I only did stuff if I was confident. When in doubt I consulted. It was never a case where I was lazy or indecisive and incompetent. It was more that I was unwilling to participate in "helping" the consultant "clear his overlisted cases in another OR so everyone could go home earlier". People told me you learn best from mistakes, so it's "ok" to make them and you should be more "brave" to do more on your own. Excuse me, the mistakes impact on people's lives and their quality of life! It's not a game!

Nevertheless I understand that the training of surgeons is always going to be difficult which is why people pay top dollar for trained surgeons. But sometimes we forget that the price paid by some mistakes is never repaid.

I can't live with that. And as someone told me, "You'd never make a good surgeon then"

Well so be it.

4 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

Walio,

Three posts and one extremely long lecture on plumbing in the space of under two hours and a monday morning somemore. What the heck, what kind of a job is this?

Just pulling your leg ah, don't raise your eyebrows okay?

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Wait till you see how much I am paid!

It's a dream job!

I raise eyebrows everyday!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger uglybaldie said...

Walio,

At least you are honest.

I suspect the story you just told is repeated many times over everyday and in every hospital. You know, the most cover up is not in politics but in medicine. Goddamit, the place we thought we would be safe is the most dangerous!

The senior surgeon who protected the trainee could fool the law but he cannot fool himself! He has to live with that guilt for the rest of his friggin' life and may I add, with his personality trait and irresponsible behaviour, many many times over. Come judgement day, he can be assured that there is no place for him in heavenly realm of the happy hunting ground. He might even be reincarnated into a buffalo to be chased by the patients who lost their lives, now becomming the hunters!

Such behaviour also gives a clue as to why most doctors are not religious but are atheists or agnostics at most.

For me, no one below the grade of an assoc. professor touches me with his scalpel. Not that I am choosy but that way, the blundering fool has more to lose when he botches the job! He may not only lose his reputation but his pants as well.

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bravo for your honesty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home