No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

TCM physicians have problems with Singaporean patients too!

I had always thought that TCM physicians had it good with their patients. Patients would see them and ask few questions. Turns out that is partly true, but they do have problems with some Singaporeans.

One of my lecturers is a TCM physician who works very near to where I used to work and saw all sort of nasty people. In fact I call that area the worst slum district in the whole of Singapore. And my lecturer agrees!

Anyway here are some of the stories he told us :

Story 1.

Patient : eh sinsei! My 5 year old son has fever. I want to buy fever medicine for him.

TCM Physician : Err I need to see your son. See what type of syndrome he has. Heat, cold, excess Yang, deficient Yin etc. Different condition needs different TCM fever concoctions

Patient : Aiyah, he got fever, just give fever medicine lah! So simple why you so complicated?

TCM Physician : Then why not you go to the 7-Eleven store next door and buy some Panadol syrup?

Patient : Har? You ask me go buy Panadol? What kind of sinsei are you? Aiyah you lok quite young must be dunno anything one lar!

Story 2.

Patient : I got back pain. I want acupuncture.

TCM Physician start to take a history and asks whether she was injured, hurt herself, symptoms of numbness, and other questions pertaining to her general health and other systems...

Patient : Aiyah! Why you ask so many questions?!!! I got back pain. Just acupuncture the back lah! Talk so much for what. I very pain now you know?

TCM Physician Sighs : Ok. Anyway before I start I have to tell you the risks of Acupuncture....

Patient interrupts : Aiyah! I know already lah. Dun have to tell me. Waste time only. Hurry up and poke me lah!

TCM Physician : I don't care whether you know or not already, but it is my duty to tell you anyway.

Patient: Ok lah ok lah you damn cheong hei. I know already lah. Ok lah tell me again lah.
.....

Patient jumps : HAR! ACUPUNCTURE CAN CAUSE BLEEDING????!!!!!!! YOU SURE OR NOT?!!! WU YA BOH?!

TCM Physician : I thought you said you know the risks?!!!

7 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

eh eh Dr Oz, it reminded me of another story something similar to yours.
This so-called herself' civil servant '(which I think she lied coz her spelling was so atrocious) wasn't happy when she's being asked questions on her heel pain.

Pt: I got heel pain.

Pod: Where is the pain at in particular?

Pt: Heel lah, you don't know where is it uh.

Pod: ??? Never mind. What sort of shoes you wear?

Pt: You ask for what?

Pod: What's your occupation like?

Pt: Why do you want to know?

Pod:*($%&#** beech (said to self)

You know what, I reckon that practitioner should tear up her clinical notes because she just unable to get any information from the client.
Maybe can refer her to ortho dua lo kun...hurhur ;p

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

You know what? I have finally come to accept it.

In Singapore, GPs make a living by selling drugs. The more you sell the bigger your pay check.

In Singapore, GPs serve customers by giving them what they want. That is "good service" according to the customers.

So you know what? I've decided it's time to cut the morally upright bullshit and just do as most GPs do.

I'm sick of being scolded by everyone for doing the right thing.

Might as well follow everyone and be a "good" rich GP correct?

So just give them what they want lah. Antibiotics, sleeping pills, cough syrups, slimming pills, erectile dysfunction medicine etc.

I came to this decision after thinking very hard and looking at various clinic practices. In the end, clinics are businesses. And in Singapore since there is little appreciation for good doctors and much more appreciation for popular and money making doctors....well what the heck?

I'm quite confident that by Feb 2007 I'll be raking in the bucks for my company and patients will be far more "happy" with me.

Who gives a shit about antibiotic resistance and adverse drug reactions etc? Go doctor is to see doctor get good medicine mah!

Talk so much for what? So ngiau for what?

Ok ok I give in liao. Mai tu liao. :)

Must remember this is Singapore. I am not in Canada yet. *wink*

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger smazh said...

Oi, don't give in leh! Some of us appreciate good doctors!

At the very least, hold out until you reach Canada. :)

Then you can say you were a good doctor all the way.

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Dear smazh,

I am a good doctor still! There is a difference. Knowing what is good and what is no good is one thing. Granting the wishes and requests of customers is another.

Unfortunately almost ALL the patients I see are not appreciative of good medicine. Heck they have no clue what is good medicine.

I would rather make more money for my bosses, have them like me, at the same time have patients like me because I am so accomodating and basically be praised and happy than to be scolded all the time, ridiculed by patients, and feel bad about not earning enough for my boss.

Sorry, but I think Singapore does NOT want doctors who practise good medicine. Consult charges are low. Why? Cos they allow GPs to sell drugs. GPs are supposed to earn from the profit of drugs sold to supplement the low consult charges. So we all charge low consults. If give little medicine then basically earn from where?

Patients also want more medicine. And "gooder" "more better" medicine.

It's the system. I have to work for the system. Not against the system. I am already having better days like that liao :)

Silly me. All these years so stupid.

Anyway all you people say appreciate good doctors. Where are you? Nobody ever asked where I practise can come see me? Nobody!

I think all you all talk big only. In truth you also go to the cheapest GP you can find regardless of how he is, or self medicate.

Don't believe all the crap liao.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

I am sure there are Drs out there who think likewise as you do.

Within those 2 weeks I've worked, I do have certain patients who are 'suffocating'me just to get what they want.I don't wanna be rude. But being kind also kena complained. I'm also confused at times. Patients are far too pampered and not proactive enough. I don't wanna drill into government issues at this mo.
Come to think of it, I'm abit terrified when the work commences next year. LOL

My TCM physician here migrated from Hongkong to Syd many years ago. He was telling me how hard it is to get started with his chinese practice. He gave me a 'wisdom' on treating patients.like this: mei3 ge4 bing4 ren2 de4 xin1 shi4 bu4 yi4 yang4 de4. Ni2 tong3 de2 zhua1 zhu4 da1 men2 de4 xin1 jiu4 shi4 cheng2 gong1 de4 yi1 ban4.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Yao4 zhua1 ta1 men2 de4 xin1, jiu4 yao4 gei3 ta1 men2 shuo3 yao4 de4 la4!

Ta1 men2 shen3 me4 shuo3 yao4 de4 jiu4 gei3! Ta1 men2 jiu4 hui4 ai4 sang4 ni3 liao3!

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger palmist said...

damn if you docs want to sell drugs you put me out of job! hahaha. But the truth is you do sell drugs :)especially when the sale person load you guys with bonuses enough to fill your store.

I guess Singaporeans like things their way. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home