No more dr Oz bloke, just me

aka Dr Charlotte Charlatan

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Another patient complains!

Read this comment by "anonymous at November 26, 2006 11:37 PM" over at angrydoc's blog.

"Anonymous said...

I had an experience about a doctor prescribing cough and running nose medicine to my son even if the child was not showing the symptoms. The clinic's name is: Lifelink Clinic & Surgery 446 Pasir Ris Drive 6 #01-120 Singapore 510446.
I asked the doctor why did he do it and he was stunned why I asked. He said later that he had given the two medicines just in case the child would be sick with cough and running nose.
Total bill is $50. And the medicine we are expecting was the antibiotic as my kid was having fever, and was vomitting. But there was no antibiotic.
This experience, as was my experience with the doctors here in Singapore, shows how clinics are mere cashcows, and not a place to be healed. It seems to me that doctors have forgotten about their Hippocratic oath and their service to humanity. Their minds are more bent on how to earn more money to pay the increasing rentals and other expenses related to their clinics. "

This is really quite typical of Singaporean patients (for you overseas, non-Singaporean people reading this). Antibiotics is an "expected" medicine when it comes to all forms of colds and flus. If you ever see a Singaporean patient in your clinic (wherever you are) you better giver him/her antibiotics!

As for the cashcow bit. Well I can't speak for the GP in question. It is true that some GPs might really be milking you for all that it is worth, but I find it strange that if this GP was really like that, why not milk you the cashcow a LOT more by giving you some original patented antibiotic and make the bill $85 instead?

Sometimes we do get requests from patients asking for these medicines as their children DO INDEED develop runny nose, and cough a couple of days later. I doubt any GP out there in Singapore would dare to say "No Sorry! Your kid get runny nose and cough then I give you the medicine. Now cannot give!"

Of course the real issue here is that there was something lost in the communication chain between the patient and the doctor. The patient has a right to refuse medicine! Isn't "anonymous" aware of it? Or too intimidated by some old looking grey haired doctor to speak up? And this GP forgot to enquire what ideas, concerns and expectations (mnemonic ICE) you might have. If he had, then I doubt you would have this problem. It takes two hands to clap I guess.

What's with the complaint of a bill of $50 inclusive of consult and medicines? Hey that's real cheap compared to other FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES (don't go comparing with third world ok? You're not the government :)) I wonder if anyone reading this is a doctor from Oz or Uk or Canada or US. Please write here how much a visit to your office would cost?

As for the use of antibiotics. I have previously written a long post on this in February 2006. Go read it. Get educated. Cold or flu, antibiotics don't work for you!

8 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

You're right Dr Oz. Drs here are expected to give oral antibiotics only if patients have been down with infection.The typical remedy for colds and flu is to REST IN BED. LOL. No joke. Very often, once a patient has got cold and flu without fever, Ozzie drs will say it would be a viral infection. Obviously if it's a viral infection, it can't be cured by antibiotics.
Singaporeans 'aunties' and 'uncles' should learn to understand that antibiotics are not miracle cure. As we know the fact that abusing the use of antibiotics will lead resistant strains of superbugs forming.
So all the youngthings out there reading this comment, maybe you can 'fine tune' your family members and friends in regards to antibiotic usage.
Very important you know......


********************
Something else to share.
I used to have a 'uncle' pt came in for fungal infection of the toenails. Without a sec, he asked me for a prescription of oral antibiotics.
Tsk tsk!
For a moment I was gonna say to pt that if he still insists to have the antibiotics, the nails will still be as rotten+ugly as ever.hurhur!

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long ago, doctors always prescribed antibiotics for flu and colds for many years till quite recently.

Even for very young kids and I always wonder why? Of course, back then there is no internet and patients are not so well informed and would normally trust their GP.

So can you blame those so ingrained with the fact that antibotics are better and the "miracle cure". Not all those "educated" by their doctors on this are 'aunties and uncles'.

As usual, the not so well-informed patients are always being ridiculed by healthcare personnel without thinking where they(patients) learn the medical information from.

Dr Oz, I have learnt alot since reading your blog on healthcare issues - keep it up!

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Hi anonymous! You're quite right!

In fact my own father insists that he must have antibiotics for flu otherwise he won't recover.

You see there is this very very powerful effect of any remedy that is given which the patients believes enough. It's called the placebo effect. Of course who's to say that the antibiotics don't prevent secondary infection and hence "increase" the chances of full recovery etc? I'm pretty sure many GPs out there who are "regular antibiotic prescribers" will attest to that.

As you well know doctors in Singapore pte healthcare have everything to gain when they give you more and more and more medicines. So it's really hard to tell the difference. Some patients also WANT the antibiotics and so doctors are happy enough to give.

In fact I have been SCOLDED many times for NOT giving antibiotics both by the patients and the bosses! So much so today I have learnt to close one eye.

I always thought the benchmark would be to compare with what other first world countries do. Well apparently that's not applicable to Singapore.

Cheers!

 
At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr Oz

I'm sure you can understand and agree with me because you're a doctor who knows where your heart is.

Only hope those young ones, would take a minute to think before posting their comments.

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

Hi anon,

Are you the anon who posted at Angry doc's blog?

Just wondering if having read my blog, would you still "expect" antibiotics for flu from now on?

And if the doctor still gave it to you, what would be your response?

I'm not here to judge because I think it's very foolhardy to expect anything and people should have a choice but I think it is better if people make choices aware of the facts and make decisions knowing why they make them rather than based on "common occurence" and thinking it should be the way.

So what would you say? Be warned though, the GP might insist you take it. And if you don't get well he would say "See what I told you! Must take antibiotics! Don't listen to that young inexperienced GP across the road. He knows nothing! This is not USA you know!"

Today my feeling is that I will quit medicine totally and find an admin job when I migrate to Canada in 2010.

Cheers!

 
At 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr Oz

No, I am not the one and my comments are not meant for you except those addressed to you directly.

Sorry, if you misunderstood me, not talking abt you. Of course you don't judge - those who judged are those who comments without thinking and generalized - the young ones are not meant for you.

I hope the other anon would read your blog and be better informed.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger aliendoc said...

There's also the other extreme where patients who NEED antibiotics (eg. with tonsillitis or UTI) are adamant about trying to get better without taking antibiotics.

I also notice that expat patients seem to be better informed about the judicious use of antibiotics than local patients...

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Dr Oz bloke said...

I absolutely agree with you aliendoc.

I think it has something to do with the expats having an open mind about things, being more open to new ideas, different points of view etc

Singaporeans tend to be more likely to have ONE set way of thinking and stick to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home